How to meditate?
Meditation is a simple and straightforward practice, but can sometimes be frustrating if you feel like you’re not doing it right.
Don’t get frustrated when your mind wanders, it’s part of the process and it totally normal. Instead, think of your brain as a muscle that gets stronger by doing mental repetitions of refocusing your attention, similar to how a muscle gets stronger by doing repetitions in the gym. The more repetition you make, the stronger you will get. In this case, you are strengthening your brain’s ability to maintain focus.
The following is a basic technique that will teach you how to meditate.
- Find a quiet and comfortable place where you can sit or lie down
- Close your eyes and focus your attention on your breath
- Breath deeply and slowly
- Observe the physical sensations of the air coming in and out
- When your mind wanders, gently bring your attention back to the sensation of your breath
- Continue for a set amount of time